*Live-Out & Part-Time Opportunities Available
Guided by Charter of L’Arche and the mission of L’Arche Portland, L’Arche Assistants work cooperatively with the other L’Arche Assistants to create community, to support the growth and well being of each member of the community, and to share responsibility for management of the home.
• Work cooperatively with the other L’Arche Assistants to create community and support the growth and wellbeing of each member of the home
• Assist core members (adults with intellectual disabilities) with basic hygiene and health needs, which include toileting, showering, and laundry assistance
• Assist core members with daily recreational and financial activities and support them in personal growth
• Share household responsibilities including cooking, maintenance of house and yard, upkeep of community vehicles, transportation for core members, record keeping
• Help plan celebrations, leisure activities, trips, prayer, community nights, retreats, one-on-one outings with core members
• Support, participate in, and help facilitate community nights between our homes
• Represent our community by participating in larger L'Arche circles such as our L'Arche@ events across Portland
• Attend regularly scheduled team and house meetings
• Develop supportive relationships with friends and families of core members, and professional human service workers (case workers, health care providers, etc.)
L’Arche Assistants are accountable to the Community Leadership Team.
• At least 21 years old
• Ability to communicate clearly and work cooperatively
• Ability to lift at least 50 pounds
• Current driver’s license
• Criminal record check (completed as part of the application process)
• Multnomah County DD Qualifying Test (completed as part of the application process)
• Current Basic First Aid and Adult CPR certification (completed as part of the application process)
• Live and work in the home, with two consecutive personal days each week
• 40 hours of daytime support per week including shared meals when scheduled. Live-In Assistants provide on call support to the home for 2-3 sleeping overnights per week on average.
• Wage - $17.00/hr (40hrs/week schedule with opportunity for overtime; Live-In Assistants pay $654/month for Room & Board)
• Benefits package including medical and dental insurance as well as additional treatments (chiropractic, massage, acupuncture, therapy)
• $200 AirBNB gift card every 3-months for live-in assistants after their first 90-days
• Generous accrual based PTO
• IRA - 5% contribution after one-year of full-time employment with L’Arche Portland
At L'Arche Portland, people with and without intellectual disabilities are transformed by working together to create home, share life, and build community. We give and receive compassionate care and friendship as a community that fosters a deeper experience of being human. We welcome people of all backgrounds and spiritual journeys to find connection and belonging.
L’Arche Portland Live-In Assistants work with the other Assistants and the Community Leadership Team to create and support community life in our homes. A Live-In Assistant must feel called to share life in our homes and build intentional community. This position requires a mature individual able to maintain confidentiality while dealing with a variety of personalities and the tensions and conflicts that result. L’Arche Assistants must learn to develop competence in a wide range of areas including interpersonal relations, household planning, and personal time management. This position requires a commitment to live out the mission of L’Arche Portland and a call to live with people with disabilities.