*Part-Time, Full-Time, & Live-In Opportunities Available
Guided by Charter of L’Arche and the mission of L’Arche Portland, L’Arche Assistants work cooperatively to create community, to support the growth and well-being of each member of the community, and to share responsibility for management of the home.
• Work cooperatively with the other L’Arche assistants to create community and support the growth and wellbeing of each member of the home
• Assist core members (adults with intellectual disabilities) with basic hygiene and health needs, which include toileting, showering, and laundry assistance
• Assist core members with daily recreational and financial activities and support them in personal growth
• Share household responsibilities including cooking, maintenance of house and yard, upkeep of community vehicles, transportation for core members, record keeping
• Help plan leisure activities, trips, prayer, community nights, retreats, one-on-one outings with core members
• Welcome guests and visitors into the home
• Attend regularly scheduled meetings
• Develop supportive relationships with friends and families of core members, and professional human service workers (case workers, health care providers, etc.)
• At least 21 years old
• Ability to communicate clearly and work cooperatively
• Ability to lift at least 50 pounds
• Current driver’s license
• Criminal record check (completed as part of the application process)
• Multnomah County DD Qualifying Test (completed as part of the application process)
• Current Basic First Aid and Adult CPR certification (completed as part of the application process)
• Hourly Wage – starting at $17.00/hour
• Weekly Hours: part-time and full-time opportunities are available. Weekend availability preferred.
• Benefits package including medical and dental insurance as well as additional treatments (chiropractic, massage, acupuncture, therapy)
• Generous paid time off (PTO)
• IRA - 5% contribution after one-year full-time employment with L’Arche Portland
At L'Arche Portland, people with and without intellectual disabilities are transformed by working together to create home, share life, and build community. We give and receive compassionate care and friendship as a community that fosters a deeper experience of being human. We welcome people of all backgrounds and spiritual journeys to find connection and belonging.
L’Arche Assistants work with the other Assistants and the Community Leadership Team to create and support community life in our homes. This position requires a mature individual able to maintain confidentiality while dealing with a variety of personalities and the tensions and conflicts that result. A Live-out Assistant must learn to develop competence in a wide range of areas including interpersonal relations and household planning. This position requires a commitment to live out the mission of L’Arche Portland and a call to be in community with people with disabilities.